Wednesday, March 28, 2012

UpdateProgress: how to implement different ones?

hi all. i started exploring the march ctp of atlas today, and i must say i'm really impressed (completely new to ajax/atlas). one thing i can't find out for myself tho...

when using an updateprogress control, is it possible to have multiple, and bind each one to a different callback?
i want to implement kind of a thing like pageflakes.com has; different loading indicators for different parts of the page... the problem is that no matter what i do, if i have more then one updateprogress, they all seem to respond to *any* callback, so i'm seeing multiple progress indicators with no matter which callback i do to my code-behind...

i hope i'm making myself sufficiently clear with this issue :)

in any case, thanks in advance for reading this far!

Yes, currently the UpdateProgress is 'bound' to the PageRequestManager and therefore listens to the async call, regardless of what control is making the call. This is something we are looking into ..


Sorry to duplicate posts, but I made comment of similiar nature in 'performance issues' post:

My controls are flashing on update panels. they turn 'grey' then are filled.

Also - the first callbacks are slower - which gives a pause to the user. This is troublesome. I have a page with 5 update panels. I'd like to have 5 different progress indicators, but all 5 fire at once.

I hope that is fixed.

Most of my use of update panels is used with dropdownlists, and selection of checkbox, etc... where in the past I would have had to postback to have a change. It's super fast locally of course, but when I move it to the server - it's too slow. This will be a problem for others as well, especially with dial up.

I think the development team needs to really investigate ways to let the user know there is activity - a good start would be only firing a progress indicator if it is in the updatepanel being called.

Also - it would help if a setting was available on the progress indicator where it would only show a message if the callback takes 'x' amount of time. This way, if you are on modem, you would get a indicator on a slow connection - however, if you are a on the LAN, there is no need to flash some 'processing' message up if the call only takes 1 second.

I hope this type of discussion is going on when examing solutions.

Thanks


oh ok, thanks a lot for the reply!
Thank god! Hope it'll be released soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment