Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Updateprogress on page_load ?

I have a long running process that might take several seconds to populate a control. Id like to show a progress indicator while this is being done. Anyone got an example of showing an updateprogress during page_load ? Maybe I can just use javascript to invoke a button click event on a non-visible button and have it start off the process ?
 here's a quick example:
var $user_updateProgress=Sys.Application.findComponent('ctl00_WorkingArea_Container_User_list1_UserLookupProgress');
 I had an UpdateProgress control named UserLookupProgress which I wanted to display. When the page loads, the control gets loaded into a javascript Sys.UI.Control.
So I needed to access it and it was driving me nuts! so I took a look at the source and figured out how they were doing it. Ultimately you need to use the findComponent method
of the Sys.Application class. The thing I could not figure out is why I had to reference the fully qualified ClientID in order to gain reference to my control.
From there I was able to show/hide the control.
 Hope this helps.
 P.S. if anyone has a better way , PLEASE chime in ;)


I want to show a updateprogress while my page loads. There is a tree that is populated with a large amount of data.

i have encounter same problem b4, that need to load a large data on the page load

but the interface will hang untill all the data was process.

i did a silly job to solve this problem

add a timer that run only once, set it to false by default, then on pageload and Ispostback=false, enable the timer run only once.

in the timer tick event bind the data.

thus, the databind is start after page load, and updateprogress working in this way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment