Wednesday, March 28, 2012

UpdateProgress not showing up

I have a page which has a FormView control and when I click one of the rows I get an ModalPopup for editing the detailed information. This works, however it takes too long for ModalPopup to open. Since I haven't found any solution for speeding up the ModalPopup, I thought I might as well inform the user that the data is loading on the background. I also thought that I might give UpdateProgress-control a try. I know that this is not the best solution for this (performance) issue but so far is the best I can figure out.

My page looks like this:

<Button> (hidden)
<ModalPopupExtender>
<Panel>
<UpdatePanel>
<FormView>
</UpdatePanel>
<UpdateProgress>
</Panel>

So what I would like is that before ModalPopup is visible, user gets an message presented by UpdateProgress, that something is going on. However with this current setup, nothing happens, UpdateProgress is not activated. Any ideas why ?

The ModalPopupExtender and the popup control have to be inside the UpdatePanel for UpdateProgress to be activated.



Hi,

Here an example of how to procede with.

<asp:UpdatePanelID="UpdatePanel1"runat="server"UpdateMode="Conditional">

<ContentTemplate>

<!-- Place here your ModalPopupExtender and the popup control -->

</ContentTemplate>

</asp:UpdatePanel>

<asp:UpdateProgressID="UpdateProgress1"DynamicLayout="false"runat="server"DisplayAfter="50">

<ProgressTemplate>

<spanstyle="font-family: Trebuchet MS; color: #ffffff;">Chargement...</span</ProgressTemplate>

</asp:UpdateProgress>

<ajaxToolkit:AlwaysVisibleControlExtenderID="AlwaysVisibleControlExtender1"runat="server"TargetControlID="UpdateProgress1"HorizontalSide="Center"VerticalSide="Middle"HorizontalOffset="0" />

Kind regards,


Ok,

Thanks both, I try to take look at this bit more today.


I tried this and it works, thanks !

One question though, why is AlwaysVisibleControlExtender needed, because the examples I have seen are done without this ? I always thought that UpdateProgress would be the only control needed here.


Happy to see that it works.

k000der:

I tried this and it works, thanks !

One question though, why is AlwaysVisibleControlExtender needed, because the examples I have seen are done without this ?

This extender is just here for managing the UpdateProgressExtender position. As you can seeHorizontalSide="Center"VerticalSide="Middle"

are for specifying the position in the screen where you would like to have the loading displayed, and even if you are scrolling up and down inside the page, you'll see that the position will always stay where you define it.

Kind regards,


Ok, now I see why it's needed. Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment