Saturday, March 24, 2012

Upgrading the AJAX Control Toolkit?

If I have a directory called AJAXCTPEnabledWebsite1 in my VS websites folder, how do I upgrade that to the release version? I guess I'm not sure what the difference is between AJAX 1.0 and the AJAX Control Toolkit. If I have the AJAX Control Toolkit, does that mean I already have AJAX (pre 1.0 in my case) installed?

I just need to get upgraded to the release version(s) and need a little direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Which of these do I need:

http://ajax.asp.net/downloads/default.aspx?tabid=47

You needboth, the RTM version of ASP.Net AJAX and the latest version of the toolkit. You will need to recompile your project against the latest bits and check for any issues. You can find toolkit breaking changes information under thearchived releases section of the toolkit and ASP.Net AJAX breaking changeshere.

The latest version is v1.0.10301.0. Download that release (its the latest one), get the zip files that includes all the files. In the Sample Websites/Bin you will see "AjaxControlToolkit.dll". Thats the dll you need to import in to your VS Toolkit.


kirtid:

You needboth, the RTM version of ASP.Net AJAX and the latest version of the toolkit. You will need to recompile your project against the latest bits and check for any issues. You can find toolkit breaking changes information under thearchived releases section of the toolkit and ASP.Net AJAX breaking changeshere.

So is the 'beta' of the control toolkit the ASP.NET AJAX RC or the ATLAS version? I found the migration docs, but they are different based on which version you have. As I said, I have the 'beta', but I'm not sure if that is the same as the AJAC RC or the ATLAS version. I believe it should be the AJAX RC, but I want to confirm before I start uninstalling/installing. In the link below, it mentions 'beta' in the sentance above two possible documents, but the links and info about the actual links don't label either one as migration from the 'beta'.

Specifically, on this page, do I use the first or second migration document if I have the Control Toolkit 'beta'?: http://ajax.asp.net/documentation/default.aspx?tabid=47

Thanks for the info.


The toolkit is built on top of the ASP.Net AJAX platform. They are two separate entities. ASP.Net AJAX RTM is what the latest version of the toolkit uses. You should always use the latest version of the toolkit which is what we support. I pointed you to the archived releases in case you wanted to check out any older breaking changes. You should uninstall all older versions of ASP.Net AJAX before installing the RTM build, then download the latest version of the toolkit and compile your project against these new dlls.


Ahh, OK, now I see, that makes sense. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment