Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Urgent: AJAX. Is this possible? Thank you.

Hello,

I am creating a web site which will have a mixture of AJAX and traditional.

Basically, I want to create a web site which will be tradicional as:

1. It has a master page and a child master page.

2. It has a menu which redirects to the various pages in the web site.

And it will have a few AJAX features:

1. Authentication using AJAX

2. Use of Update Panel so that I can update some content sections in each page without refreshing the entire web page.

My questions are:

1. Should I create an AJAX web site or a traditional web site and add the script manager to it?

I already added created an AJAX web site but when I added a Master page I got an error:

"Only one <configSections> element allowed per config file and if present must be the first child of the root <configuration> element.

The error was in code line "<%@dotnet.itags.org. Master Language="VB" CodeFile="MyMaster.master.vb" Inherits="MyMaster" %>" on file MyMaster.master

2. If you think I should create a traditional web site, then can I authenticate the users using AJAX?

Thank You,

Miguel

P.S: Sorry for the "Urgent" but I am completely stopped on this project and I have no idea which direction to take.




Hi,

I'm looking at similar issues in updating my website to 2.0. A couple of things from your post cought my eye. 1) I wouldn't have thought about using AJAX for authentication. As I understand AJAX it's only for client (browser) side features - that don't require a postback to the server (or limit the parts of a page that require postback). How then, can you use it for authentication? What, on the client side, can you be authenticating against?

As not all the AJAX stuff is ready for primetime, is that Ok with your plans for the website - how much pre-release bugs/changes will be Ok in your development and deployment? I'd probably be hesitant to use the CTP Codeplx stuff in a production site.

I don't see that having the website project AJAX enabled, would hurt, as it's just (I think), adding things needed to allow AJAX to work, not taking anything away from a ASP.Net 2.0 project/website.

A Bigger question might be what type of project - Website or Web Application Project (ala VS 2003 - using the add on for 2005). That's going to make a difference in your compilation scheme, and deployment issues.

For my site, I'm going to try using a single master page, but not use it for the first page, as I want that to have a unique (though compatible), style. I'll use CSS to keep things looking connected. I'm guessing - but don't know - that not having a masterpage for the default/index page will lessen the overhead a bit, and make it that much quicker to load. While broadband is ever more common, I still want a quick page for the default. With my site layout, I expect viewers to move to a content subject area, so a simple and clean fist page is Ok. It's also a place to offer an none BB, or text only , alternative. You can do this with a full feature page, but it can get very busy, and take so long to load that the point of the redirect is lost.

To go with this, I'm not sure if I'll want to use AJAX on that first page, or if having the site AJAX enabled, will not save anything by not using AJAX there. I have lots to do, and I'll check back at this post to see what others are saying about the ideas. Good luck. BRN..


Hi

I thought it doesnt really matter traditional web or AJAX web.

The only difference is AJAX web has script manager with it.

I worked with mater page with AJAX and found no trouble. The only thing you have to know is use script manager proxy for master/child page.

Cheers

MIB426

No comments:

Post a Comment