Wednesday, March 21, 2012

urlrewriter and Microsoft Ajax gives me a Web Service call failed: 405

I'm using the Dynamic Populate Extender

And it gives me a

Web Service call failed: 405

Error if I'm accessing the page through a rewritten URL

featureD_properties.html
is
index.aspx?PageID=featured&agent=11

rewritten

the html one throws that error the other one doesn't...

why?

I'm using
http://www.urlrewriter.net/

you cannot use "HTML" or anything except "ASPX" as a suffix for your url when you are abut urlredirecting ,

read the PDF available on the http://www.urlrewriter.net/ it is mentioned there .


what?

I have no idea what you're talking about

The Server URL is ASPX and HTML is the URL being rewritten

The Client URL is

featureD_properties.html

and it gets rewritten to without incident

~/index.aspx?PageID=featured

That's what URLrewriting is... I think I completely missed your point or what you're trying to say....


I guess you use visual studio dev server so you can map anything but in the real world we use IIS , and IIS sends only "ASPX" files to asp.net to manage so other things (including HTML ) won't be managed by asp.net so you cannot use any other " extension " except "ASPX". Read the "readme" file on URLrewriting.net website it is clearly motioned there, though you can config your IIS to manage HTML extensions as well so you can map your addresses on HTML extensions(or anything else like .ME ! ) but usually you cannot config your hosting server !


I'm not using the dev server I'm using IIS
URLRewriting HTML extensions to a server extension on the web site is a really common practice especially in SEO scenarios

I could make the extension .Imuhhappymonkey

It doesn't matter it's just some random assortment of letters that you map to something that's it ASPX is just the default that it uses I could map ASPX to anything i want

I'm operating with dedicated Windows 2003 Servers so I can do whatever I want to to the hosting server...

The problem is that the webservices and the asmx files don't want to play nicely with the urlrewriting package...


Hi,

Please refer to this post for the explanations about why ajax extension usually has problem with URL rewriting. http://forums.asp.net/p/1153763/1890972.aspx#1890972

No comments:

Post a Comment